Pages

Monday 24 January 2011

London Trip. Hmm.

We went to London for a short while last week in order to research practitioners and work for our assignment 2 - visual essay. This essay will be based upon my choice of which practice to study at level 2. At the current time I assume this will be my original interest of animation (virtual environments) although I do find it quite challenging at first, I feel it will be the most interesting to progress in and become accomplished with.

To be honest, a lot of us found the work at the V&A and science museum in London not very appropriate to what we would like to do in years 2 and 3. However, I found what i saw of Mat Collishaw's exhibition "The Magic Lantern" quite interesting. However, I don't think we managed to find the actual main piece of this exhibition! D: It was all very confusing that building. :P I also found the Space & Light exhibition by Edward Gordon Craig quite helpful. Although he is a practitioner in the theatre side of art, I found his use of light on his woodcut designs quite interesting in association with the "virtual environments" pathway, and could also be linked to moving image. I also looked at the "Isotype" exhibition in this museum, which is the only thing I thought could help with the interactive pathway, but I dont' intend to choose this anyway.

I tried to video the magic lantern piece in the garden at the V&A and this about the best one I got without mainly seeing my camera and hand in the reflection, lol.

Untitled from Samantha Freeman on Vimeo.



Images from V&A:











We also looked at a couple of exhibitions in the Science Museum in London - "Psychoanalysis" and "Dan Dare & the Birth of Hi-tech Britain". I found these exhibitions even harder to link with my Context 1 work to be honest! But found the psychoanalysis one quite interesting and made me think how artwork can be linked with this subject. I also looked at the evolution of technology towards the end of the Dan Dare exhibition - cameras, tvs, computers, etc.


Images from Science museum:










1 comment:

  1. so now go and look at how your favorite animations and animators use light.

    ReplyDelete