Pages

Sunday 8 January 2012

Character modelling - finally

So for the most part of the christmas hols I have been getting on with my visualisation work which I pretty much neglected before the last week or 2 of term. Now I feel like I am totally neglecting the animation project, although its deadline isn't until April, I feel it will be a lot harder and take longer to get to grips with!

The project is called 'Silent Comedy' and basically involves us designing one or two characters, and animating them to produce a slapstick style comedy piece (1 min+). In the brief, it also says that we should 'design, build and animate a character that can apparently think, decide, pick something up, drop something, walk, climb, trip, slip and fall'. I am not quite sure of what exact plot I want my animation to have yet, or indeed what my character will look like. However, I have so far focused on learning character modelling techniques so I know what is easiest but most effective to produce in 3D.

Therefore, I have finally got round to starting to get on with some of Andy's tutorials from the NOW on character modelling using his design as practice. Yesterday I finished the whole of the body and clothes, but still have the head and face modelling to learn (it is a long time since that seminar - can't quite remember).


Anyway, here is the smooth (NURBS) model of my headless character from following the tutorials:



It is pretty much the same as the finished model in the tutorial, so I am quite pleased with it, and feel I have learned more about how to approach modelling a character (choosing whether to extrude or attach a new shape, for example).

No comments:

Post a Comment