Pages

Thursday 12 January 2012

Silent Comedy Idea & Character Drawings

I have been starting to think about my next animation project (Silent Comedy) and how to use up a minute worth or animation and to make it at least slightly comical! :)

It took me a long time to come up with some ideas, but the one I have decided to work on for now is this:


A geeky character decides to try and play basketball with his new ball and hoop in his front yard. He starts to dribble the ball and then takes a few shots at the hoop - each time spinning around the hoop then failing to drop through. He then gets very frustrated after quite a few misses and aggressively throws the ball straight at the hoop, causing it to bounce straight back at his face and knock his glasses off, leaving him unable to see. Whilst 'blind' he walks straight into the dustbin, knocking it over, then walks straight onto a banana peel and slips over onto his bottom (perhaps breaking his glasses in the process). 

This is quite a complicated idea, but I think it could work well within a minute + of animation, and think it could be a good way of playing around with the funnier approach to slapstick comedy which is mentioned in our brief:

"The second, funnier way to film that same sequence is as follows: Cut to the guy, walking. Cut to the banana peel, lying in wait. Then cut to a wide shot of the guy approaching the banana peel. Cut to a close-up of the banana peel, just as the guy's foot almost hits it. Cut back to the wide shot, as the guy deftly steps over the banana peel, smiling smugly . . . and falls into an open manhole…"


Also, here are some drawings of the front and side profile of my character design, which I plan to use as drawing planes in 3ds max to help me model it, like I have done so far in Andy's tutorials...



I have decided to stick to a character style and shape quite similar to Andy's, due to taller, slimmer characters apparently being easier to model and rig. My 3D version may end up looking quite different to this initial design, yet this is the general shape I will want to produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment