Pages

Monday 21 January 2013

Practice-Led Research - Artefacts

The second part of the research project module involves using 5 artefacts as 'practice-led research' in order to further explore my research question.

My research question I have explored in my document is:
"How is cinematography used when creating an atmosphere or mood within a CG environment, and which techniques are most effective?"

When proposing my possible artefacts within the document, I suggested that..
"To explore methods for creating atmosphere and mood, experiments with cinematographic techniques and the 3D pipeline would be produced. For example, using the same environment, many experimental renders could be produced, each using different techniques such as camera angles, lighting, or colour schemes to try to create mood within this environment."

After discussing this further in recent tutorials, I have decided on the following approach to my artefacts, where 3-4 techniques can be explored:

Artefacts 1 & 2: Exploration of lighting - Time and mood
Artefact 3: Texturing techniques - Changing the feel of a room
Artefacts 4 & 5: Camera techniques - Angles, effects, movement


Although I recently posted a possible environment for my artefacts in the form of a lounge/diner area, I have now changed my idea and decided on a classroom scene. This scene uses large windows from both the back wall and the pitched ceiling, as a good source of natural light, as well as incorporating hanging ceiling lights as a possible source of artificial light, useful when experimenting with using light to show different times of day or year. The scene was mainly influenced by an artist studio model I found on the lighting challenges at the 3drender website (http://3drender.com/challenges/artistry/index.html), as I thought it was a good example of potential to show character through a simple model of a room.

So far, I have modelled all of the main features of the room, and only applied simple textures and added basic lighting to help whilst producing the scene. I will add more detail in the form of textures, lighting, props, and effects, depending on what I am trying to show in each artefact. I have not put too much time into high quality modelling, etc. due to this research being focused on cinematography techniques more so than modelling and texturing.








No comments:

Post a Comment