Pages

Thursday 7 February 2013

Progress on Artefact 2 :)

This week I have been experimenting with lighting again with my classroom scene, this time to create an atmosphere of an eerie night. So far, from using my previously posted reference images, I have decided to use photometric lights with a greenish/blueish tint (filter) to create the desired effect. I have also made some slight adjustments from feedback I received during my presentation for artefact 1, such as the time shown on the clock, slight bump maps on the walls, consistent backgrounds shown through windows.

Here are some renders I have edited in After Effects and Photoshop, experimenting with different colour tints and saturation:

Experiment with green tint - highly saturated

Experiment with green tint - desaturated

Experiment with blue tint - highly saturated
Experiment with blue tint - desaturated


So far, I think that more desaturated versions tend to show an eerie/uncomfortable mood more successfully, and also think that the green tints work slightly better. However, I will probably post these pictures onto a quick survey again to ask some simple opinions on them.

In order to investigate the role of colour when creating mood, I will also include a version which is almost totally monochrome from desaturation, to see if colour makes any difference or is actually needed to create this type of atmosphere. I have looked at film noir quite a lot during my initial reading into my research question, and this is a good example of how lighting can be used to enhance the atmosphere of the horror genre without any use of colour to influence this.

Experiment with hardly any colour saturation at all - Film Noir style

No comments:

Post a Comment