Pages

Friday 1 February 2013

Artefact 2 Planning


Artefact 2 - "Eerie Night"



"Lighting in the computer gives you the control to create any situation you can imagine. By using the right combination of intensity and color, you can effectively create a mood for your cinematic masterpiece."
(Ablan, 2003, p.78)


For my second artefact, I will continue to explore using lighting design as a technique to create mood and atmosphere. As I have already tried to use lighting to create the effect of a winter morning (natural light), for my second artefact I will focus more on creating a specific mood using artificial light sources during the evening or night time.
The types of mood and atmosphere I want to achieve are:

  • Dark
  • Cold
  • Gloomy
  • Creepy
  • Eerie
  • Uncomfortable
From looking at these moods and how others has portrayed similar atmospheres in CG lighting, I have found the following visual research so far...






From observing these examples, and from reading my research of this particular area, I can see that the following properties are needed to create such mood:
  • High key-to-fill ratios - bright lights, dark shadows, high contrast
  • Dark feel to environment not in focus
  • Green hue to lights and surroundings (sometimes blue)
  • Moonlight can be used to add to mood/darkness


No comments:

Post a Comment