Pages

Tuesday 16 November 2010

CRAP, another seminar task ;)

Today I had to bring in a few examples of what I consider to be bad layout design (i.e. that does not follow the C.R.A.P way of designing ;) )

So what is this 'crap'ness I hear you ask?

Contrast -   This can be achieved with variations in colour or boldness, etc.
Repetition - By using the same font or technique over and over and over and over...
Alignment - Using invisible lines of alignment to link sections together. Like in this list.
Proximity -  Making things that link together closer.. andviceversa,perhaps.


These are factors that should always be considered in layout/composition of design. This is something I will remember for all of my future work. Whether written or visual. :D


Now to the task. We looked at our examples of poor layout design and discussed what was wrong or could be improved. Now we need to pick one of these and re-make it, improving the layout and overall design as much as we feel we can or need to.



I chose this design. It is is a CV for a graphic designer. Or as they like to call it "grahic designer". Epic fail. The first thing on my list is to correct this spelling mistake if I am going to improve it at all! Although, to be honest, I will be starting it again on Photoshop. I will take a photo of lined paper, manipulate it, add text and other details similar to the title in the original, and put the sections in order of relevance. I could even remove one or two sections due to irrelevance. (e.g awards?)

I also need to find another example of bad design and improve this in a similar way. I will probably use one of the DVD/CD covers I looked at before today's lecture...

I will post my finished pieces next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment