Pages

Thursday 18 November 2010

First One Shot Seminar.

So today I started the third and final subject in my Design Practice 1 rotation. Moving image - One Shot Film.

I am going to be honest, this is the one out of the three subjects that I have been looking forward to the least. I'm not really into film and cinematography - I much prefer still photography. I am also not too keen on working in groups to produce work as I am often referred to as an independant learner... However, I plan to try and enjoy the subject as much as possible and get some productive work done with my group.


Today, we firstly discussed the concept of a one shot film and what limitations it will involve. For instance - we have to make our film using only one shot and are only allowed to pan, zoom or track the camera once in the whole film.

We also discussed briefly the process of risk assessment. The main mood of this discussion was BORING. But I guess it has to be done. :P I think we will have to do it tomorrow before starting filming our practice piece.

I gathered that...
Risk - The possibility or likelihood of danger or an accident occuring. (e.g. there is high risk when filming in a crowded place?)
Hazard - Something present that could cause danger or accident. (e.g. a steep and/or slippery surface could be a hazard when producing a film with action)

We walked around the aboretum for half an hour today too, picking possible settings for our first short film. We decided on one of two places - either under a tunnel/bridge area towards the back of the park, or on a bench near the large monument.

The main idea that arose in our short group talk after this 'walk' was a discussion/confrontation between two characters in a suspicious sort of style. For example, one character (let's call him Bob) is sat on a bench (organised meeting place?) with a large bag or object to sneakily leave for another character he will meet (Fred) to pick up. However, when he gets to the meeting place, a poor, homeless  person (Tramp!) is already sat there.. 'Bob' would leave the bag under the bench and walk off, but the 'Tramp' would steal the bag and run. 'Fred' would turn up and then run after 'Bob', starting a confrontation in the background.

This is my interpretation of the basic idea we discussed anyway. We will probably alter this or simplify it in one or two ways to make sure it doesn't get too long or complicated, as it is only a practice one shot film!

The objects associated with risks/hazards I thought up whilst brainstorming this idea were...
-Wet floor/leaves
-Uneven floor
-People in the same area
-Filming equipment

Although this is a very different genre/mood of film and uses a lot of tracking, panning and zooming, it is still a one shot film using similar subjects and composition that we discussed in seminar. (i.e. over shoulder shots of people sat on a bench) so thought it was appropriate to share on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment