Pages

Sunday 9 October 2011

Animation project - chess game with robot

I have just done a quick moodboard of some chess related stuff (mainly boards) to give me some inspiration of what type of style I would like to go for. There is a mixture of real chess games, and 3D generated images, to give me an idea of what can be achieved.


I really like the glass style of chess piece, I think it could be cool if they or the board could light up with different colours when moved, if I had time to do this, too. I will try to model the pieces as accurately as I can to traditional chess piece (or simplified versions, such as more square ones) before I start my ideas, so I have them ready if I want them later on in the project.

So far I have modelled a simple chess pawn using this tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mJh_hn08zc


I then edited the line/spline from this pawn and made it look like the side of a rook/castle piece, then converted it to an editable poly so I could extrude polygons on the top to make it look like a castle!


I also used similar techniques to make the other pieces, but am currently stuck on how to do the knight!





Here is the animation "Geri's Game" by Pixar on which our project is loosely based:


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful article, thanks for putting this together! This is obviously one great post. Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have so provided here.
    forrender

    ReplyDelete